[rules-users] [OptaPlanner] Multiple planning entities and dynamic planning variables.

Sandeep Bandela gibsosmat at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 16:35:26 EDT 2013

Hi,
I need some help on modeling a planning problem. (using planner 6.0.0.Beta3)
My problem closely resembles curriculum-course example but with some more
planning variables as follows.

   1. course can be taught by multiple teachers
   2. lecture needs 1 teacher, 1 projector, 1 teaching assistant.
   3. course can have lab component. which needs 'n' teachers & 'm' lab
   assistants of that course.
   4. every resource (teacher/projector/room/lab/assistants) have their own
   availability periods in a day.

1, 2, 4 were easier, I made teacher, projector, TA as planning variables
and have list from which they can be chosen. and separate rule to check if
the any of these are present in different lectures at the same time or if
they are unavailable.

now to incorporate the 3rd, I am stuck. should I create different planning
entity and its own variables of teacher, lab assistants? this will also
complicate rules to check if the same resource/variable is not in different
places in the same period (lecture-lecture, lab-lecture, lab-lab etc.). any
suggestions or references regarding this is much appreciated.

Another issue is how can I dynamically control number plan
variables/resources needed for a planning entity? like 2 teachers & 4 lab
assistants for a lab session of course (is it related to
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/PLANNER-167 if so any workaround).
--
Regards,
Sandeep Bandela.