[rules-users] VRP with multi-stream and heterogeneous fleet?

Colin Sheppard colin at humboldt.edu
Wed Jul 17 11:12:04 EDT 2013

Hello all, I'm totally new to optaplanner / drools and would like to know
if the following is possible within the framework (I'd mostly likely use
version 6).

I have a VRP where we'd like to consider multiple waste streams
simultaneously (i.e. trash, recycling, food waste, and yard waste).  We'd
also like to consider a fleet of split bin trucks (capable of collecting 2
streams at a time but with reduced capacity), single bin trucks, or a
mixture of split and single bin.

So the model would need to allow for a mixture of vehicle types, for nodes
to be visited more than once, and for simultaneous collection to occur in
the case of split bin trucks.

Does this sound like a feasible problem to implement?  Would you anticipate
any major or intractable challenges?

Thanks for your advice, I hope I get the chance to start using optaplanner!

Colin Sheppard

--
Colin Sheppard
Research Engineer,