[rules-users] Wanted Patterns in Planner/Rostering

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 02:31:57 EDT 2013

On 18-07-13 05:30, john poole wrote:
> I'm using the Nurse Rostering code as a base and adding my own rules, etc.
> Are there any examples of "wanted" patterns? It looks like all the input
> files, and the drl rules are all for "unwanted" patterns. I just want to
> make sure I'm not missing something obvious.
Positive constraints (aka "wanted" patterns) are fully supported in
OptaPlanner.
Just none of the example use them (IIRC).

Instead of doing this for an unwanted pattern:
         scoreHolder.addSoftConstraintMatch(kcontext, -
$pattern.getWeight());
do this for a wanted pattern:
         scoreHolder.addSoftConstraintMatch(kcontext, $pattern.getWeight());

Also, you probably want your solver configuration's
constructionHeuristic not use any pickEarly.