[rules-users] Drools Fusion in JEE environment

IK81 ml at kofler.me
Thu Jul 18 04:28:00 EDT 2013

Hi all,

i am planning to use the Drools engine in the stream mode within an JEE
application server. I have to process events of different users which can
define their own rules. So I plan to instantiate a stateful session for each
user and populate them with the user's rules. However, I am concerned how to
manage the firing of the rules - which might be delayed by some time because
of some rule statements (fire rule after having event A and no event B
within 3 minutes). Spawning a thread for each session and calling
fireUntilHalt is not an option in my opinion.

I've found a solution where somebody uses a scheduler within the container
to call fireAllRules at certain domain-specific intervals (e.g., every 10
seconds). I am wondering if there is a more clever approach. I am thinking
of providing a callback that can be used by Drools to notify when it has to
be "waked-up" again to fire the delayed rule.

Best regards,
Ingo