[rules-users] Controlling Rule Execution

jking527467 jason.king at openroadsconsulting.com
Tue Jul 30 19:18:58 EDT 2013

All,

I'm new to Drools and I'm faced with what seems to be a pretty trivial task
that's taken a lot longer than expected.

I'm working mainly with distances and am looking for an plain English
response to this trivial problem.

Here's the problem:

- Activate all things within x miles.
  - If nothing is within x miles, activate all things within y miles.

It seems pretty straight forward but here's my dilemma.  If I execute on y
miles first, everything within x miles will also be activated.  I need to
ensure the things between x and y miles aren't activated if anything is
within x miles of a certain fact.

Does this make any sense to anyone?  I'm have a hard time grasping the
proper approach and have looked into activation groups, etc. but haven't had
any luck.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!
Jason