[rules-users] Lazy Planning Value Validation

jonathan.labin jonathan.labin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 11:04:06 EDT 2013

I am using Optaplanner 6.0.0.beta2.

Like most domains, I am working where it is possible that a given planning
value is invalid to assign to some planning entities. However, it is
impractical to perform a thorough validity check against every combination
in order to a Value Range list containing only valid assignments.

I could simply create a Hard Constraint rule to test for these invalid
assignments but I fear the validity check may even too computationally
expensive for this (i.e. run for each potential step during step selection).
Also, this does not prevent the Optaplanner from considering this assignment
in the future in a slightly different context.

Instead, what I'd prefer is to only check the validity of an assignment
after it is used as part of a solution which improved the score.  That way
it is never called for any of the huge space of possible assignments that
won't ever be part of a final solution anyway.

If the assignment turns out to be invalid in this check, I'd like to remove
it from the Value Range so it is never considered again.

Is there a way to have the Optaplanner behave this way?
Which components should I investigate implementing (a forager)?
How does the Optaplanner respond to run-time changes?  Once, discovered, can
I simply remove the invalid planning value from the value range for the
planning entity?

Thanks,

Jon