[rules-users] Memory Leak while working with Drools 5.5.1 Final

ganapathya ganapathya at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 12:32:10 EDT 2013

Hi,

I'm using Drools 5.5.1 Final and am facing Memory Leak Issues with
org.drools.reteoo.ReteooRuleBase not getting released.

We maintain Rules Sheets as Excel Decision tables and these are maintained
as BLOBs in the DB. When the application is starting up, these BLOBs are
read from the DB and compiled into RuleBase and are maintained in memory. We
execute the rules by reading the compiled drools rule base from memory.

The memory does not seem to be getting released and we get an outofmemory
exception once every week and we're having to restart the app. When we took
a memory dump and analyzed the dump we see that most of the memory is
occupied by the org.drools.reteoo.ReteooRuleBase class.

Has anyone else experienced this before? Any insight as to how we can solve
this?

P.S: The component using Drools is a stand alone component and runs on OSGi.
Spring Injection is used but not for Drools. JDK used is JROCKIT 1.6. 0_31.

Thanks,
Ganapathy