[rules-users] Drools Planner/Optaplanner suitability

droolster quant.coder at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 11:53:12 EDT 2013

Hello,

Please can the community tell me if Drools Planner/Optaplanner is the best
tool to use for the problem described below:

1. For a list of items, I assign a point depending on the value of each
item. For different values of an item, I will assign a different point (kind
of on a rule basis i.e. if value = A, then assign 3 points, if value = B,
then assign 9 points etc)
2. I multiply the points assigned to each item by a weight.
3. I sum the total number of weighted points and divide by the sum of the
weights (basically, I compute the weight average).

Is Drools Planner the right tool to use here or is it better to use Drools
Expert?

>From looking at the Drools Planner documentation, it looks like an
optimisation tool and I am not really doing any optimising here. I am just
calculating a value based on some rules.

Regards.