[rules-users] What is ->?

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Thu Jun 27 06:08:18 EDT 2013

It was removed about 5 years ago :)

it was for inline eval, which iself isn't really needed any more. Drools 3.0 couldn't do complex constraints, i.e. you couldn't use nested accessors person.address.street, nor could it use maps or lists in that syntax. So we used -> as a delineator to what we can now "inline eval", which is like a black box evaluation. So at some point this changed to eval(….) so that you could have an eval() CE, or an inline eval() inside of the pattern. Even inline eval is no longer necessary as we allow free form expressions, so you can do complex constraints without having to use special delineator notation.

Mark