[rules-users] Ignore subsequent conditions in a Decision Table based on previous condition

ciberg2 joaoguerra72 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 06:03:19 EDT 2013

Hi, I'm new to Drools and I'm implementing rules using Excel decision tables
and I need some of your help.

I have some rules in which depending on a condition the following condition
is not necessary, how can I define a table that akllows to define this?

For instance I have:
CONDITION           CONDITION               CONDITION              ACTION
result1
N                        N                             Y
result2
N                        N                             N
result3
N                        Y                             N
result4
N                        Y                             Y
result5

In the example above (I hope you can see it right) if the first condition
value is Y the other 2 conditions values don't matter and despite their
value the result will always be the same.
I wouldn't want to have to write all the possible combinations as these in
the real case will add a lot of complexity to the tables.

How can I accomplish this? Is it possible to do it in Excel? If not, how can
I do it in another way (for instantance with guvnor web-based tables).