[rules-users] Structuring rules in Drools

abhinay_agarwal abhinay_agarwal at infosys.com
Thu Mar 21 07:23:17 EDT 2013

Hey Sandra,

Basically, if your question is can rules interact, I would say "yes", but
not in the general method like functions do i.e. calling one rule from
another.

Some basic things that can be done to initiate interaction is :

1. Facts inside one rule can be changed such that the next rule's condition
become true and it gets fired.

2. What we can do is we can put rules in different groups i.e. agenda-group
and focus can be set from one group to another.

3. We can provide ordering (salience) to rules. This gives us the control
over order of execution of the rules.

But, though i consider this to be interaction, many of us over here may
disagree with. They are also correct because one rule is totally indepent of
another, unless we control them with some rule attributes.

Regards,
Abhinay