[rules-users] Drools Planner renames to OptaPlanner: Announcing www.optaplanner.org

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 15:09:42 EDT 2013

We’re proud to announce the rename Drools Planner to OptaPlanner
starting with version 6.0.0.Beta1. We’re also happy to unveil its new
website: www.optaplanner.org <http://www.optaplanner.org>.

OptaPlanner optimizes business resource usage. Every organization faces
planning problems: provide products or services with a limited set of
constrainedresources (employees, assets, time and money). OptaPlanner
optimizes such planning to do more business with less resources. Typical
use cases include vehicle routing, employee rostering and equipment
scheduling.

OptaPlanner is a lightweight, embeddable planning engine written in
Java™. It helps normal Java™ programmers solve constraint satisfaction
problems efficiently. Under the hood, it combines optimization
heuristics and metaheuristics with very efficient score calculation.

OptaPlanner is open source software, released under the Apache Software
License <http://www.jboss.org/optaplanner/code/license.html>. It is 100%
pure Java™, runs on the JVM and is available in the Maven Central
Repository <http://www.jboss.org/optaplanner/download/download.html>too.

For more information, visit the new website:

http://www.optaplanner.org

    Why change the name?

OptaPlanner is the new name for Drools Planner. OptaPlanner is now
standalone, but can still be optionally combined with the Drools rule
engine for a powerful declarative approach to planning optimization.

  *

    OptaPlanner has graduated from the Drools
    <http://www.jboss.org/drools>project to become a top-level JBoss
    Community <http://www.jboss.org/>project.

        OptaPlanner is not a fork of Drools Planner. We simply renamed it.

        OptaPlanner (the planning engine) joins its siblings Drools (the
        rule engine) and jBPM (the workflow engine) in the KIE group.

  *

    Our commitment to Drools hasn't changed.

        The efficient Drools rule engine is still the recommended way to
        do score calculation.

        Alternative score calculation options, such as pure Java
        calculation (no Drools), also remain fully supported.

    How will this affect your business?

 From a business point of view, there's little or no change:

  *

    The mission remains unchanged:

        We're still 100% committed to put business resource
        optimizationin the hands of normal Java developers.

  *

    The license remains unchanged (Apache Software License 2.0). It's
    still the same open source license.

  *

    The release lifecycle remains unchanged: OptaPlanner is still
    released at the same time as Drools and jBPM.

  *

    Red Hat is considering support subscription offerings for
    OptaPlanner as part of its BRMS
    <http://www.redhat.com/products/jbossenterprisemiddleware/business-rules/>and
    BPM platforms.

        A Tech Previewof OptaPlanner is targeted for BRMS 6.0.

    What has changed?

  *

    The website has changed tohttp://www.optaplanner.org

  *

    The distributions artifacts have changed name:

        Jar names changes:

          +

            drools-planner-core-*.jar is now optaplanner-core-*.jar

          +

            drools-planner-benchmark-*.jar is now
            optaplanner-benchmark-*.jar

        Maven identification groupId's and artifactId's changes:

          +

            groupId org.drools.planner is now org.optaplanner

          +

            artifactId drools-planner-core is now optaplanner-core

          +

            artifactId drools-planner-benchmark is now optaplanner-benchmark

        As usual, for more information see the Upgrade Recipe in the
        download zip.

  *

    The API's namespace has changed. As usual, see the upgrade recipe
    <https://github.com/droolsjbpm/optaplanner/blob/master/optaplanner-distribution/src/main/assembly/filtered-resources/UpgradeFromPreviousVersionRecipe.txt>on
    how to deal with this efficiently.

        Starting from 6.1.0.Final, OptaPlanner will have a 100%
        backwards compatible API.

  *

    OptaPlanner gets its own IRC channels on Freenode
    <http://freenode.net/>: #optaplanner and #optaplanner-dev