[rules-users] Example code to test an object that contains a collection of other objects?

lamenramen lamenramen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 17:13:27 EDT 2013

Hi,

I have read around for an entire day but still can not figure out how to
write the following in DRL syntax:

"When a person has a an advanced degree, print 'person is educated'"

A person has many degrees.  So, I have a Person POJO and a Degree POJO.
A Person object has a field callled "degrees", which is nothing more than an
ArrayList<Degree>.
A degree has nothing but a name field, which is a String.

In regular java, it would be:

for (Degree d : person.getDegrees() {

  if (d == "phd" || d == "ms" || d == "jd" || d == "md") {
      System.out.println("person is highly educated");
  }

}

I can not do this in the Guvnor either.

I've tried using a contains keyword but I just can't my rule to fire.
Simple rules otherwise fire just fine ,so my plumbing is all wired up
correctly.