[rules-users] [Planner] Planning problem - looking for tips, and advices for complicated case

Mz zalew89 at gmail.com
Thu May 9 10:00:49 EDT 2013

Hello,
I'm having a problem to plan my solver, I'm wondering if it's possible to
configure the solver, so that it picks the best solution from multiple
collections of planning variables. Here is an example, to be more precise:

I have 3 planning variables: X, Y, Z. and many collections of values of
these variables. For example, collection A contains three X values, five Y
values, and two Z values; other collection would contain different values
etc. And the problem is that the values from different collections can't be
mixed with each other, and I don't know how to prevent that.

I have tried different approaches but with no luck... Tried to mix all of
the values together identifying them with a collection ID, and setting in
rules a negative score for the ones that are not from the same collection,
but its very inefficient, and the solver never stops (despite the fact that
the timeout was set for 120sec).

I was thinking about using multiple @PlanningEntities, but as far as I know
it is not supported, so I have resigned from this idea.

I have also tried using @ValueRange type FROM_PLANNING_ENTITY_PROPERTY, and
in MoveFactory I have changed planningEntityProperty according to the
collection I was using, but it led to exception "Corrupted Undo Move", and
all in all I think it was a bad idea.

My last idea, which I have not tested yet, is to make two different solvers,
one would find best solution for the given collection, and from all of the
best solutions from these collections, the next solver would pick the best
one, but I think this might be a very inefficient way of doing it.

I'm really sorry if I made this post very hard to understand, but my problem
is a bit more complicated then it sound, and its hard to describe it :P I
would appreciate any tips/ideas how I could configure/plan my solver, and
rules so it would work better.

Thanks in advance,
Mateusz