[rules-users] Ask for help with OptaPlanner

Xi Gong nkgxgongxi at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 11:46:42 EDT 2013

Hi Folks,

I am new to OptaPlanner, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question.

I developed a project to solve a worker assignment problem based on
OptaPlanner. I have a java class "Demand" which has the information of
capacity needed for each shift.
I added it to the solution class as a problem fact, since it should never
be changed. Then I wrote rules saying that when the supply on that shift
can not satisfy the demand there will be a point loss.

The problem I met is that when stepping into local search phase, the solver
can not access to this class.

For instance, I have the following rule:
rule " test rule"
when
$s : Shift($i : index)
$d : Demand(shift.getIndex() == $i)
then
System.out.println("Test rule fired.");
end

>From console log I observed that at local search phase this rule was never
fired.
Does anyone have any thoughts on why this happened and how I should solve
this problem? I will appreciate your help.

Thanks,