[rules-users] CurriculumCourse - extending for multiple teachers per course

clients peter at felicepost.ca
Fri Nov 22 17:38:47 EST 2013

Hi,

I have been playing around with the optaplanner library for the past couple
of weeks trying to learn a bit of the basics. I have been making some
progress but I have a simple variation I am trying to accomplish to the
stock CurriculumCourse example and am hitting a wall.

What I am trying to do is modify the CurriculumCourse example to also allow
the teachers to be planning variables. I plan on extending it to give
constraints on which courses individual teachers can teach, but to start I
am just assuming each teacher can teach any class to make things easier.

- First I tried to add the Course entity as a second planning entity with
the teacher being a PlanningVariable but keep on running into an exception
based on the solver configuration

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The entityPlacerConfig
(QueuedEntityPlacerConfig(null, null)) has no entitySelector configured and
because there are multiple in the planningEntityClassSet ([class
org.optaplanner.examples.curriculumcourse.domain.Lecture, class
org.optaplanner.examples.curriculumcourse.domain.Course]), it can not be
deducted automatically. at
org.optaplanner.core.config.constructionheuristic.placer.EntityPlacerConfig.deduceEntityDescriptor(EntityPlacerConfig.java:43)

I can't seem to figure out where the entitySelector is missing or what the
entityPlacer is used for or where it is configured. I have read that
multiple planning entities are possible, but can't determine how to get this
*simple* example to work.

- Second I tried to see if i could move the teacher planning variable to the
Lecture planningEntity, but cant figure out a way to keep all of the
lectures of one course stuck with the same teacher. I dont believe I can
change other planning entities on my own when one is updated.

I am still new to looking at these problems and determining the best model
to fit it, so hoping someone might have some tips/help on how to handle this
scenario.

Thanks in advanced,