[rules-users] Drools 6 getting started

Mark Proctor mproctor at codehaus.org
Mon Nov 25 10:36:05 EST 2013

There are a set of examples, with docs here:   4.2.5. Build, Deploy and Utilize Examples
http://docs.jboss.org/drools/release/6.0.0.Final/drools-docs/html/KIEChapter.html#KIEExamplesSection

Not sure what you mean by externally? Do you mean programmatically or from command line?

For programmatically - similar to the old KnowledgeBuilder api:
4.2.5.10. Programaticaly build a KieModule using Meta Models

For command line, just include the maven plugin:
4.2.2.3. Building with Maven

To dynamically update you have two alternatives. you can do it manually or you can do it automated via kie-ci.

To do it manually, load the target KieModule into the KieRepository, and on the existing KieContainer call updateToVersion( ReleaseID ). This example shows how to load a KieModule into the KieRepository. While in the example it uses the ReleaseId to create a new KieContainer, it’s a one line addition to instead update an existing one.
4.2.5.7. Named KieSession from File

If you want to do it automated, from a maven repo, you can use kie-ci:  "4.2.5.5. KieContainer from KieRepository"

You can use the KieScanner to automate this, based on a poll. "4.2.3.3. KieScanner”

updateToVersion only works for jars built with with the programmatic api, or with maven using the KIE plugin.

Mark