[rules-users] Problem setting up Eclipse in Windows8 (Drools disappears, and most server options aren't displayed)

ChayaCooper chayacooper at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 19:16:06 EDT 2013

I've installed Eclipse on two machines (one is running Windows 8 and the
other has Mac OS X v.10.5.8), but it doesn't seem to be running correctly in
Windows 8 as I'm experiencing two significant problems while setting up a
new project.

When I use the wizard to Define a New Server it only lists 2 Basic Server
Type options (HTTP Preview & HTTP Server), even once I've downloaded
additional servers/server adapters.

Drools is running correctly for me until I set the runtime and restart
Eclipse, when all the references to Drools vanish from the Eclipse workspace
(including Preferences, File -> New, Perspective, or even as a result when I
search in 'Quick Access').  It does however still showed Drools as installed
(when I click on 'What is already installed?'). I've tried reinstalling
Drools, as well as manually unzipping it and adding it to the plugin folder,
but it still isn't showing up in Eclipse.  In order to verify that Drools
hadn't been corrupted, I created a 2nd instance of Eclipse on my desktop
(where I repeated the plugin  installation process) with the exact same
result.

I've installed both Apache (Apache HTTP Server 2.2.25) and JBoss Application
Server 7 (EAP 6.1.0).  In addition, I've downloaded JBoss Tools 4.1  to
address the potential issue raised in this post
https://community.jboss.org/en/tools/blog/2013/10/08/update-to-jboss-tools-41-and-developer-studio-70

I'm running:

    Eclipse Java EE IDE for Web Developers, Version: Kepler Service Release
1, Build id: 20130919-0819
    Drools 6.0.0.CR4
    Windows 8