[rules-users] Integrate Drools with Java application, need recommendations

Stephen Masters stephen.masters at me.com
Thu Sep 5 20:00:05 EDT 2013

My preference is option 1 … using a Spring application with a class which wraps a knowledge base / session. This has the advantage that sometimes I really do want to be able to mix up rules results with logic that I want to implement in Java code.

There's obviously a performance impact if you additionally marshall to a separate Drools server, but not a huge amount. The decision should be more about whether you expect all business logic to be implemented in the Drools rules or a combination of rules and business logic code.

Steve