[rules-users] OptaPlanner vehicle routing problem with "multiple depots"

Geoffrey De Smet ge0ffrey.spam at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 09:08:11 EST 2014

On 22-01-14 14:56, milenko wrote:
> Dear OptaPlanner users,
>
> I am working for a small company located in Munich and have a software
> problem, which I would like to solve with OptaPlnner.
>
> In our case, we have multiple technicians which are starting their work each
> day from different locations (e.g. their homes).
> Each technician has to serve customers at different locations.
> Each customers has his own time window for the visit (earliest arrival time,
> wait time, planned start time, planned end time, real end time, …).
> On one hand the route of each technician should be optimized.
> Also the planned customer time window should be met optimally.
> There should not be many empty gaps in the time schedule of single
> technicians.
>
> For me this looks somehow similar like the vehicle routing problem with time
> window.
>
> In our case we have the following similarities:
>
> Customer= Customer
> Vehicle = Technician
> Time windows = Time windows + additional time windows
> Depot = We have many Depots (Starting locations) for each single technician
>
> I do not know how I could transfer the parameter capacity of the vehicle –
> probably I don’t need it..
>
> What I tried: I changed the parameters in the xml-input file to change the
> location position of the customers and also the different time windows.
> But I don’t succeed to add additional depots (customers)? Does somebody has
> an idea how to realize that?
There are different input formats:
   data/vrp/import/ => 3 different academic vrp formats
   data/vrp/unsolved/ => xstream format
   data/vrp/solved/ => also xstream format

It should be possible to add it in the xstream format, but it might be
easier to add it in one of the academic vrp formats.
See docs for a link to more info about the formats.
Click the "import" button in the examples gui to use them.

Note that:
- it's not tested with multiple depot's yet. But the example was
designed to work with it. (If it doesn't it's probably easy to fix)
- the GUI hard codes that there's only 1 depot IIRC. Look for usages of
VehicleRoutingSolution.getDepotList()

hth