[rules-users] Null Pointer Exception with 10K+ kBase objects

jhusby husby024 at umn.edu
Tue Jan 28 11:10:47 EST 2014

I'm trying to stress-test Drools to see what its limits are, and I stumbled
across a NPE when I have a large amount of facts in a stateful
knowledgebase:

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at
org.drools.core.phreak.PhreakTimerNode.doPropagateChildLeftTuple(PhreakTimerNode.java:355)
	at
org.drools.core.phreak.PhreakTimerNode.doPropagateChildLeftTuples(PhreakTimerNode.java:325)
	at org.drools.core.phreak.PhreakTimerNode.doNode(PhreakTimerNode.java:72)
	at
org.drools.core.phreak.RuleNetworkEvaluator.innerEval(RuleNetworkEvaluator.java:357)
	at
org.drools.core.phreak.RuleNetworkEvaluator.outerEval(RuleNetworkEvaluator.java:161)
	at
org.drools.core.phreak.RuleNetworkEvaluator.evaluateNetwork(RuleNetworkEvaluator.java:116)
	at
org.drools.core.phreak.RuleExecutor.reEvaluateNetwork(RuleExecutor.java:200)
	at
org.drools.core.phreak.RuleExecutor.evaluateNetworkAndFire(RuleExecutor.java:67)
	at
org.drools.core.common.DefaultAgenda.fireNextItem(DefaultAgenda.java:935)
	at
org.drools.core.common.DefaultAgenda.fireAllRules(DefaultAgenda.java:1200)
	at
org.drools.core.common.AbstractWorkingMemory.fireAllRules(AbstractWorkingMemory.java:957)
	at
org.drools.core.common.AbstractWorkingMemory.fireAllRules(AbstractWorkingMemory.java:931)
	at
org.drools.core.impl.StatefulKnowledgeSessionImpl.fireAllRules(StatefulKnowledgeSessionImpl.java:256)

I have a little program that creates, populates, fires, and destroys a
session repeatedly.  With 10K objects in the knowledge base, I get the NPE
the first time I loop through my program, but not subsequently (probably
because by the subsequent executions things have been cached).  With 100K
objects, I get the exception most times.  With 1M objects, I get the NPE
every time.

Am I doing anything wrong or is it simply taking so long to execute all the
rules that something times out?  Is there a timeout param I could set?

Thank you!

Joseph