[rules-users] Hang in Drools Builder during Building Workspace with Eclipse

Borris borris at chaos.org.uk
Sun Jul 13 12:26:38 EDT 2014

If I have

global java.util.List <com.blah.CountedValue <> > countsList;

then Drools Builder never finishes. If I have

global java.util.List <com.blah.CountedValue > countsList;

Then the problem does not occur. So it's the diamond brackets <> causing
the hang.

I'm not claiming this is the code I want - I was part way through
changing some stuff between Drools and Java and ended up with the <>
present whilst I was thinking. Either auto-save or my fingers doing the
equivalent a bit later triggered the hang.

The impact is massive, unfortunately, as Eclipse tries to build the
workspace (by default) on starting, and you need to have finished
workspace building before you can get the the dlg to disable the
automatic workspace building or the use of Drools Builder.

This happens in 6.1.0.201407130611 - but I was using 6.1.0.201407061813
when it went wrong.

Is there anything else I can add to be helpful?

Borris