[rules-users] Drools 6.0.1 Workbench - How to import existing drl files?

Michael Anstis michael.anstis at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 16:20:38 EST 2014

Ok, if I understand correctly you keep your rules in SVN, maintain them in
Eclipse and want them in the workbench too?

If this is correct then things are a little more tricky.

As far as I recall Eclipse will not allow you to associate an Eclipse
project with multiple VCSs. At the moment I suspect you have it configured
to use SVN.

You can therefore fetch the latest from SVN, modify as needed and commit
back to SVN.

You have two choices to get the rules, from SVN, into the workbench:-

(1) Create a new (git) repository in the workbench, clone it to a folder
somewhere and then manually copy rules into the
/src/main/resources/whatever/package/needed folder before committing and
pushing back to the workbench (git) repository.

(2) Create a git repository in a folder somewhere, manually copy rules into
/src/main/resources/whatever/package/needed and add this git repository to
the workbench.

You should read the section in the User Guide about repositories. You will
also need to become familar with git.

You could alternatively choose to keep your source code in git (and not use
SVN) however I appreciate this may not be viable. Things would be more
simple for you.

Whilst you use two VCSs (SVN and GIT, as required by the workbench) there
is little you can do to avoid the manual process (although this could
obviously be scripted and automated).

Sent on the move