[rules-users] Too agressive scanning of classes in KieModuleMetaDataImpl

vektory79 vektory79 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 09:54:33 EDT 2014

In Drools 6, when org.kie.scanner.KieModuleMetaDataImpl is
initialized, it scans all classes in all dependencies. At my point of view,
it's a too aggressive.

In many situations, scanner catches not only needed modules, but many
modules with testing and provided scopes.

In other side, in run-time, testing modules don't needed at all. Provided
modules may be valid, but if don't filtered it out then it don't have other
ways to have ability to controlling a Maven dependencies.

In other word, provided scoped modules could be included, but not his
transitive dependencies.
Otherwise scanner will be scan a many unneeded modules, that can brake
Drools compilation at all. For example: my project have transitive
dependency on library, that use an com.ibm.icu. And Drools compiler is
braking on com.ibm.icu because com.ibm.icu have a class with invalid
bytecode: