[rules-users] Reloading DRL files from a web interface + incoming requests

Julius juliuscb at outlook.com
Tue Mar 18 12:04:56 EDT 2014

Hello. I am new to Drools and have seen similar questions to mine, but I need
some more detail and would love to see some insight from a Drools pro for
our particular scenario :-)

We are testing Drools as part of our web application backend. We want Drools
to make some decisions based on a number (let's say 10) parameters we find
in the incoming HttpRequest.

Also, we are building a web admin interface that allows users to make
changes to the Drools files that contain the business logic. We created a
simple interface that allows users to create filtering rules. We store those
rules in the database (field, operator, compare_against_vales, etc).

Every time a user makes a change to a rule in the web admin interface (add
rule, delete rule, add condition, delete condition, update condition, etc)
the DRL file(s) must be regenerated and re-fed to Drools.

I have a couple of questions about this:

1. How do we reload DRL files in the most efficient way? (A small code
sample or a link would be great)
2. Could we create multiple small DRL files instead of one big one and would
we get better performance when we only reload the (small) changed files into
Drools as opposed to putting everything in one file and regenerating and
reloading that?
3. Do we run the risk of Drools being "busy" with reloading DRLs while we
have new Drools jobs (HttpRequests) waiting and what would happen, would we
suffer a delay or do we run the risk of Drools being "unavailable"?

The app is business critical. It doesn't have a super high load at the
moment, but load could grow in the future and we want to plan for the worst:

- a user in the web admin makes a number of changes to conditions and
submits those, so we have to reload DRLs
- at the exact same moment 5 incoming requests need to be evaluated by
Drools

4. Can Drools manage this worst case scenario?

Thanks very much for your time.