[rules-users] Performance of rules in Drools

Wolfgang Laun wolfgang.laun at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 11:25:33 EDT 2014

Once the KB+WM is in place, using either approach, it is merely the
insertion time of facts to be matched that counts. A fact's attributes
need to be compared to these parameter sets, given either explicit in
rules or as data in parameter facts.

Comparing a fact f to a set of another facts S requires the comparison
of each attribute of f with all corresponding parameter attributes in
S. Indexing should make this more efficient than it sounds.

With parameters explicit in rules, the rule compiler has the
possibility of combining constraints with identical value into a
single node, thereby reducing the number of necessary comparisons.

In both scenarios, the order of the comparisons should matter: it's
best if the first attribute reduces the number of potential matches
maximally.

That said, the only way to gain some confidence is to run a few
benchmarks, and you'll have to roll your own - only you know the
relevant details. I've exercised the two scenarions outlined before,
and the answer was that one is slower by 40% than the other, with ~ 10
sec for 1000000 facts, comparing 2 string and 2 int attributes for
equality. So, it doesn't seem to matter much, which way you choose.
But this test is fairly naive - I don't want to be quoted saying that
this is faster than that.

I do think that using parameter facts has some handling advantages.

Cheers
-W