[rules-users] Drools eclipse plugin problem

raojinghai at gmail.com raojinghai at gmail.com
Wed May 7 21:24:55 EDT 2014

Hi,

Whenever I use classes from any third party jar files (not in JRE System
Library and Drools Library), I got error messages in Eclipse IDE. At the
place where I import the class, the error message is "Only a type can be
imported. ... resolves to a package". At the place where I use the class,
the error message is "... cannot be resolved to a type".

However, I have included the jar file in classpath. The project can be
executed successfully in Eclipse even with the error message in IDE.

To make the problem easier to describe and to reproduce if anybody
interested, I use the example reported at
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/DROOLS-373. Both my problem and this are
about external libraries, so I feel they may have some connections.

Below are my steps:

1. Download drools6scratch-kiemavenclasspath.zip from jira and unzip the
file
2. In eclipse, Import -> Existing Maven Projects, and select the unzipped
folder
3. After import, convert the project to Drools Project

Then I get errors in both package.drl and AppTest.java. The attached
screenshots can give more details.

This happens to every imported class from third party libraries. But the
classes from JRE System Libraries or Drools Libraries are fine.

So I have to disable drools builder, which also turns off drools validation
in eclipse. It is very inconvenient for my development work.

I believe many people are using eclipse for drools development, but I am
surprise nobody complains about it on Internet. First I suspect its
configuration problem on my side, but I tried with fresh installation on
both MacOS and windows 7, and I always get the same problem.

Below is my environment:

   - OS: Mac OS X 10.9.2 and Windows 7
   - Eclipse Kepler (Standard and for Java EE Developer)
   - Drool Eclipse Plugin - JBoss Drools Core 6.0.1Final.
   - Java SE 1.7
   - Drools Runtime 6.0.1

Thank you so much if anybody can help.

Jinghai