[rules-users] Drools Planner: what if possible values of a PlanningVariable are dependent of another one?

dBijkoo bijkerkrick at hotmail.com
Thu May 8 08:38:36 EDT 2014

ge0ffrey wrote
> In OptaPlanner's architecture current philosophy, this is not legal:
> a value range should be stable for each variable (of each entity) during
> solving.
> This not guaranteed to work (and it is guaranteed not to work if you do
> phase caching of moves:
> it will invalidly exclude part of the search space).

So if I understand you correctly phase caching moves is the way to go?

ge0ffrey wrote
> If it does work for you, I am interested to know more about this - so I
> can consider to make this approach legal.

It is working for me, to give you a better impression of my approach i added
an image of my "planning classdiagram".
<http://drools.46999.n3.nabble.com/file/n4029484/Planning_class_diagram.png>
Observation contains 2 annotated planningVariables getScheduleBlock() and
getPeriod(). in the getPeriod() function it checks if the scheduleBlock is
not null, if so it uses scheduleBlock.getPlanningsPeriods() function to
return a list of periods.

If have any more questions feel free to ask, we are all working to make
OptaPlanner better. I can even send you a zip of my current code if you are
interested.