[seam-dev] atom/rss jsf tag support

Nicklas Karlsson nickarls at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 10:42:21 EDT 2008

I recently committed (as discussed with Pete) some code to
org.jboss.seam.rss that enables you to
use JSF tags for creating rss/atom feeds. It is based around the
YARFRAW (http://yarfraw.sourceforge.net/)
library. The only other new dependency is commons-lang. There is a
quick-and-dirty build.xml included in
the source dir that requires some modification, I didn't want to mess
with the main build structure while
it was in the "collecting feedback" stage.

Any use for it in the trunk? Any considerations/feedback before
expanding on it? It is currently very simplified,
using a parent-child Feed -> Entries structure with several
simplifications (only one author, name only etc).

usage is in the lines of

<r:feed
	xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
	xmlns:ui="http://java.sun.com/jsf/facelets"
	xmlns:r="http://jboss.com/products/seam/rss"
	title="#{rss.feed.title}"
	uid="#{rss.feed.uid}"
	subtitle="#{rss.feed.subtitle}"
	updated="#{rss.feed.updated}"
	link="#{rss.feed.link}">
	<ui:repeat value="#{rss.feed.entries}" var="entry">
		<r:entry
			uid="#{entry.uid}"
			title="#{entry.title}"
			link="#{entry.link}"
			author="#{entry.author}"
			summary="#{entry.summary}"
			published="#{entry.published}"
			updated="#{entry.updated}"
		/>
	</ui:repeat>
</r:feed>

Some questions that came to mind:

* Delivery mechanism: I currently use the document store. Any better
alternatives? Some sort of flush + response complete?

* Most attributes support both text and html formats. Should there be
  1. One "textFormat"-swith at feed level
  2. titleFormat and title, subtitleFormat and subtitle etc..
  3. Complex tag structure with <r:title format="html">title</r:title> etc?

  I'm currently leaning towards 1.

* What level of the atom specs to support? All of it? At least r:link,
r:author, r:contributor, r:category, r:source, r:generator would
be required (or whatever multi-attribute 0:n stuff are nested in the
feed/entry elements in the specs)

* Any usage for it in wiki? I haven't really looked that much as the
wiki, it seems to have an own feed servlet and perhaps some cacheing
requirements

---
Nik