[seam-dev] automatic loading of persistence units in JBoss AS 5

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 23:18:20 EST 2008

There is merit to both sides of this argument, but I believe there are
cases when it's not just as easy as just taking the persistence unit
out of the persistence.xml file. For instance, if you want Seam or
Spring to bootstrap the persistence unit instead of the Java EE
container, you are in a bit of a fix, especially if you plan to use
the Java SE standard way of loading the persistence unit (you can
obviously go around it like Spring does and load a file with a
different name). Also, what you gain by convention (loading all
persistence units in persistence.xml) you lose in build complexity.
For instance, Hibernate Tools allows you to have multiple persistence
units defined in persistence.xml which you can use for testing
queries, but then you have to extract those in your build logic before
deploying. Definitely worth doing for a production build, but not
something to worry about early on in development.

All I'm saying is that I can anticipate plenty of scenarios where I
will need to disable this automatic loading of persistence units (or
selective loading) and right now, I don't see a way to do it in JBoss
AS 5. I'm willing to say that the default behavior is what we want,
but I strongly believe that there has to be some control over this
mechanism.

-Dan