[seam-dev] Friendly documentation

Sebastian Hennebrueder usenet at laliluna.de
Wed Feb 20 07:14:55 EST 2008

Hello,

in chapter 19 (caching) of the seam documentation, there is the
following paragraph. In my opinion, it is not at all polite as we call
them silly, use expressions like 'will try to tell you' and so on.

Dealing with other people in that way does not express better technology
or better knowledge. I would interprete it as being snobbish, subjectiv
and find that it is not very much convincing. Though I know that the
core argument is in fact correct.

May be it is just me being to sensible, but what is your opinion on this.

Best Regards

Sebastian Hennebrueder

-------
In almost all enterprise applications, the database is the primary
bottleneck, and the least scalable tier of the
runtime environment. People from a PHP/Ruby environment will try to tell
you that so-called "shared nothing"
architectures scale well. While that may be literally true, I don't know
of many interesting multi-user applica-
tions which can be implemented with no sharing of resources between
different nodes of the cluster. What these
silly people are really thinking of is a "share nothing except for the
database" architecture. ....

-------------
alternative formulation:
In almost all enterprise applications, the database is the primary
bottleneck, and the least scalable tier of the runtime environment.
People from a PHP/Ruby environment state that their lightweigth
architecture - which is not sharing resources - scales well. We do not
agree here. A PHP/Ruby will share the database which is in large scale
application normally already the bottleneck. Lightweight can be fast in
smaller applications but is not scalable.

This chapter explains how Seam uses caching to provide a architecture
which is fast and scalable at the same time.