[seam-dev] Seam and monitoring / managing

Heiko W.Rupp heiko.rupp at redhat.com
Tue Jul 1 05:46:39 EDT 2008

Hi,

as you know we now have shiny new RHQ / JBossON 2 as management
solution of the next century (Ok, I'll stop :-)

Seriously: we can monitor the "bare metal" aspects of running
applications. But I can imagine that it would be
very helpful to go even further and monitor the actual application.
Things like (examples)
- what is the average value of a shopping cart
- how many users are choosing which path in a navigation flow
- how long did a specific action take
- ...

In order to accomplish this, the writer of an application needs to
determine what data he wants from which place. I can imagine
additional annotations like e.g. @Timing on method level to initiate
the data gathering. Seam could then
compute the timing for that method and provide it in some means to
management applications (e.g. in a database table or
Mbean attribute or ...), from where a management application like RHQ
could pick it up.

What do you think?

    Heiko

--
Reg. Adresse: Red Hat GmbH, Otto-Hahn-Strasse 20, 85609 Dornach bei
Muenchen