[seam-dev] Re: Blocked threads

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 00:15:21 EDT 2008

>> 2008/6/5 Christian Bauer <christian.bauer at gmail.com>:
>>> Also problematic seems to be the ManagedEntityIdentityInterceptor (I think
>>> we really could use a "no JavaBean clustering" switch that disables it -
>>> need some input from Gavin who initially wrote it if that is feasible):
>>
>> 100% agreed, I want to implement this as the ability to configure
>> (enable/disable) default interceptors.
>
> As someone who's had a lot of headaches with
> ManagedEntityIdentityInterceptor...let me just say "Yay!"

Yeah. Trust that while writing Seam in Action, I have bruised knees
from tripping over this interceptor so many times. It's to the point
where if something in Seam doesn't do what I except, the first thing I
do is put a breakpoint in this interceptor. Not that what it does
isn't useful. It's just that sometimes it causes some pretty bizarre
side-effects.

> AFAIK there is no standard way to do this.  I have a way to detect it
> for Jboss/Tomcat (by checking for the presence of the ClusterManager
> MBean, but that probably won't help unless we want to create a
> pluggable component which has tweaks/advice for the each app server,
> in which case each could also have an implementation of things like
> "isSessionClustered(HttpSession)."  That's a potential maintenance
> nightmare, but if someone from each large app server maintained their
> tweaks component, it could work.

I don't like autodetection here. Moving to a clustered environment is
such a distinct and monumental move (and not one you use in
development very often) that having the user flip one switch in Seam
is completely acceptable over the hacks we would have to use and
maintain to try to anticipate this type of deployment. Perfect for
components.properties.

Software consultant | Author of Seam in Action

NOTE: While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a daily
basis, life and work come first and, at times, keep me away from my mail
for a while. If you contact me, then don't hear back for more than a week,
it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
caught in the spam filters. Please don't hesitate to resend a message if
you feel that it did not reach my attention.