[seam-dev] Re: Adding a security audit to the Seam QA (release) process

Pete Muir pmuir at redhat.com
Thu Oct 16 09:09:19 EDT 2008

On 16 Oct 2008, at 14:04, Anil Saldhana wrote:

> Pete,
> thanks for the information.   I just returned from a software forum
> conducted by the US Government. I got the feeling that there is some
> element of internal push toward web 2.0 and open source software in
> the government space. They are pretty strict on security practices
> etc and they view open source software as a form of COTS that cannot
> be trusted.  I am sure this extends to governments and financial
> institutions around the world. :)
>
> Security conscious customers want to see a proactive approach
> (secure design practices etc) rather than a reactive approach (patch
> management).  This can be a key differentiator for us.
>
> We have to adopt a global security policy (vulnerability reporting,
> handling and public notification).  I am sure Marc will have the
> lead role in this.  The email alias (security at jboss.org) + online
> vulnerability reporting contact form + 2-way feedback cycle/rapport
> with the National Vulnerability Databases (Mitre for CVE and NIST
> for NVSD) is all we need as a start IMO. :)

We feel we are missing a page on jboss.org that outlines our
notification procedure. We currently describe how you report a
vulnerability to us, but *not* what we do when one is discovered. We
need this information in one place, and very clearly stated;  We have
this on http://www.redhat.com/security/team/contact/ but not on
jboss.org. I think we need a similar page, including a link to http://www.redhat.com/security/updates/advisory/
list. WDYT?