[seam-dev] Suppressing parameter inclusion for s:link

Shane Bryzak shane.bryzak at jboss.com
Thu Oct 23 11:12:57 EDT 2008

A couple of our more vocal users have been pushing for JBSEAM-3609 and
JBSEAM-2310 to be fixed, and while the issue is legitimate Pete and I
couldn't arrive at a definite conclusion as to how to correctly address
it.  To summarise the problem, when a user has a page with a menu
containing a lot of links (each using s:link), each of the page
parameters defined in pages.xml for the views referenced in the links
cause instantiation of whatever Seam component is configured in the
parameter value. The main problem with this is the performance hit from
having to create so many components just to render the links.

We identified two possible solutions - either introduce an attributes in
pages.xml which when set to true suppresses the parameter values from
being rendered, or introduce an additional attribute in s:link and
s:button which does a similar thing for that link only.  The advantage
of controlling it in the view is that it offers more flexibility, being
that you can choose when to include or exclude the parameter values.
However, the real question is which would be the more semantically
correct place to control it.  Does anyone have any opinion either way
about this?