[seam-dev] laying the tracks for Seam 3

Pete Muir pmuir at redhat.com
Tue Apr 21 13:15:15 EDT 2009

On 21 Apr 2009, at 17:05, Dan Allen wrote:

> I'd like to start a new thread to discuss the Seam 3 foundation
> (since this is no longer about the Seam 2.1 branch).
>
> So far, we have four main SVN divisions:
>
> examples
> modules
> docs
> sandbox
>
> I raised the question whether we should divide up modules into
> official, sandbox, and thirdparty. Shane said that likely we don't
> need that fine-grained of a division.

I don't really like this at all - official is not very community
orientated.

> However, I'm still concerned that sandbox is too vague (the name
> reminds me of Tomahawk sandbox which is just a mess, IMO). Plus,
> examples might need a sandbox. So perhaps we can have
>
> modules
> modules-sandbox
> examples
> examples-sandbox

probably a good point.

> Moving on, we are going to use a Maven structure for everything and
> which closely resembles Web Beans. In fact, they should remain very
> close in appearance for consistency.
>
> Here's the inheritance for each Seam module:
>
> webbeans/version-matrix (Pete, is this right?)
> modules/version-matrix

We probably need to decouple the version matrix better from the
webbeans release lifecycle - just release it as 1,2,3 etc or
something...\

Otherwise, makes sense.

> modules/parent
> modules/%modulename%
>
> That would simply be expressed as:
>
>    <parent>
>       <artifactId>seam-parent</artifactId>
>       <groupId>org.jboss.seam</groupId>
>       <version>3.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
>    </parent>
>
>    <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
>    <groupId>org.jboss.seam</groupId>
>    <artifactId>seam-%modulename%</artifactId>
>    <packaging>jar</packaging>
>    <version>3.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
>    <name>Seam %modulename%</name>
>
> Of course, a module could be a parent to other modules, such as
> document perhaps.
>
> Examples have a different inheritance hierarchy
>
> webbeans/version-matrix (correct?)
> modules/version-matrix
> examples/parent
> examples/%examplename%

All looks good.

> The first example (booking) will be using JSF 2.0. I'm going to
> express this as a dependency per example right now because I'm
> thinking we still want Seam 3 to work with JSF 1.2 (or should we?).

I personally think we should require JSF2, we aren't porting all the
stuff we added to the JSF2 spec over...

> I'll also assume that the app server has JSF 2.0. We might want a
> build somewhere that can install JSF 2 into JBoss AS just like Web
> Beans has. Of course, we are waiting on a deployer from my
> understanding.

You can do it today, just replace the libraries in deploy/
jbossweb.deploy/jsf-libs - writing an ant script to do this is a good
idea.

> I'll also use the Web Beans logging extension in the examples. I'll
> coordinate closely with Shane to get the Seam security module
> running in the booking. Shane, feel free to make changes/additions
> in booking. I'll keep SVN up to date.
>
> Discussing modules, we definitely need a few more than are currently
> listed. Here are several I think we need:
>
> faces (which would have page actions, faces messages, and perhaps
> engulf the current ui too)

Sounds good. We should impl page actions on top of JSF2 events I
think. FacesMessages aren't needed as they are now stored in the
flashscope by default.

> pageflow (I think this should not be considered an extension of bpm
> anymore since it is really standalone)

Ok. We need to look at making pageflow viewlayer-independent anyway.

> That's all I've got at the moment. Feel free to correct me anywhere.
> These are brainstorms.

> http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/Dan
>
> NOTE: While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a daily
> basis, personal or other work matters can sometimes keep me away
> from my email. If you contact me, but don't hear back for more than
> a week,
> it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
> caught in the spam filters.  Please don't hesitate to resend a
> message if
> you feel that it did not reach my attention.

Pete Muir
http://www.seamframework.org
http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/Pete