[seam-dev] laying the tracks for Seam 3

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 22:49:24 EDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 1:15 PM, Pete Muir <pmuir at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 21 Apr 2009, at 17:05, Dan Allen wrote:
>
>  I'd like to start a new thread to discuss the Seam 3 foundation (since
>> this is no longer about the Seam 2.1 branch).
>>
>> So far, we have four main SVN divisions:
>>
>> examples
>> modules
>> docs
>> sandbox
>>
>> I raised the question whether we should divide up modules into official,
>> sandbox, and thirdparty. Shane said that likely we don't need that
>> fine-grained of a division.
>>

> I don't really like this at all - official is not very community
> orientated.

Okay, that's not really what I meant. I was thinking more along the lines of
production ready versus...well, a sandbox. But I think there is a general
consensus on a two-way split.

modules
modules-sandbox

Speaking of which, if we followed the web beans convention, the folder names
would be:

seam-modules
seam-modules-sandbox
seam-examples
seam-examples-sandbox

Should we add the seam- prefix? Or is it fine the way it is. I actually
don't care, just pointing out that I noticed the difference.

>> The first example (booking) will be using JSF 2.0. I'm going to express
>> this as a dependency per example right now because I'm thinking we still
>> want Seam 3 to work with JSF 1.2 (or should we?).
>>

> I personally think we should require JSF2, we aren't porting all the stuff
> we added to the JSF2 spec over...
>
>  I'll also assume that the app server has JSF 2.0. We might want a build
>> somewhere that can install JSF 2 into JBoss AS just like Web Beans has. Of
>> course, we are waiting on a deployer from my understanding.
>>

> You can do it today, just replace the libraries in
> deploy/jbossweb.deploy/jsf-libs - writing an ant script to do this is a good
> idea.

I wrote a Maven script ;)

modules/jsf-updater-tool

I'll likely weave in the antrun plugin to get fancier, but it is simple
enough right now that it gets the job done.

http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/Dan

NOTE: While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a daily
basis, personal or other work matters can sometimes keep me away
from my email. If you contact me, but don't hear back for more than a week,
it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
caught in the spam filters.  Please don't hesitate to resend a message if
you feel that it did not reach my attention.