[seam-dev] Seam 3 development

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 17:20:45 EST 2009

> I'd like to start by helping to get the most critical modules to business
> applications. I consider those to be: security, bpm, drools and mail.
> Whether it is development, testing, documentation - it's all the same to me.

You'll have to feel around in the beginning to see which module is best to
hack on first. Security is probably the easiest since most of the code is
internal, except for a minor dependency on drools for bootstrapping the
security rules.

> Beyond that I'd like to make my biggest contribution in education and
> promotion in the community. I think it's not enough to get the technical
> community excited, we need the folks that are paying the bills for IT
> projects to be on board and confident. The reason for it is my experience
> trying to wade through politics of technology selection on the projects I
> was involved in. I found that many organizations were hesitant or in
> opposition to Seam, simply because it was something they never heard about,
> and in their mind it was yet another framework with high risk. Some
> organizations see a relatively small resource pool and a new technology as a
> risk. So I'd like to help grow this resource pool, so that CDI, Weld, and
> Seam not only gain traction with the technical community, but also with the
> business that ultimately way too often (unfortunately) decides which
> technology to use.
>
> The way I think I can help best is to work closely with each module lead on
> developing viable and useful (but small scale) examples of how to use each
> module, and write articles about these examples, explaining in sufficient
> details each one. I think having a hands-on experience with real mission
> critical apps can be of some benefit. But before I get there I could
> definitely help out porting over / reimplementing portions of any module you
> guys believe is of high priority. I'd like for the leads to provide me with
> some initial guidance/intro, so I can get better acquainted with the code,
> and a consensus about priorities. I would also  definitely enjoy being
> brought in on some architecture related conversations.

I've got just the person you need to talk to. We have been hearing this
exact sentiment a lot lately and have someone leading up this effort as a
result. I'll connect you with him and we can chat about it in specifics.

> I realized that I have signed a contributor's agreement earlier this year
> (June 29), but it is still pending.

I'll work to get this resolved. Sorry about that, the jboss.org team has
been going through a ton of migrations to make this more streamlined.

> Thanks again, and please let me know how to proceed beyond here.

We'll keep in touch, but when in doubt, hit up #seam-dev in IRC (or
#weld-dev if no one is at the first channel).

> Thanks,

Thank you!

Registered Linux User #231597