[seam-dev] Getting more out of annotation processors

Gavin King gavin.king at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 02:20:39 EDT 2009

Folks, as we start work on Seam3, and the tooling for Seam3, we need
to look out for opportunities to get more out of annotation
processors. They can help us solve certain problems that we weren't
able to easily solve in the past.

One thing I would definitely like us to do is DAO generation. What I'm
thinking of is like a next generation version of the "framework"
package in Seam. For example, for each entity like Customer we could
generate a class CustomerHome extending EntityHome and adding typesafe
finder methods (findByName() and friends). Of course, the user could
extend and specialize this generated class to override or add extra
functionality.

It would even be possible to generate JSF composite components for
each entity, i.e. <e:displayCustomer/>, <e:editCustomer/>,
<e:displayCustomerAsRow/>.

Of course, all this would need to work nicely in Eclipse.

--
Gavin King
gavin.king at gmail.com
http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/Gavin