[seam-dev] To cascade or not...

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Wed Mar 4 19:18:18 EST 2009

On 05-03-2009 00:06, Dan Allen wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen
> <max.andersen at redhat.com <mailto:max.andersen at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     Convenient does not mean it should be default.
>
>     Anyway, for GA we will keep the "old" default since it was
>     discovered too late.
>
>     Then when we do have the ui for controlling the default I would
>     just have a few options but
>     let none be the default since it is the less risky one and you can
>     set the default option in persistence.xml
>     instead of going set it on every single entity.
>

> It's clearly a programming/architecture style since we all are pushing
> our own viewpoints. Thus, I think you should have an option in the UI
> for the user to enter whatever default he/she wants. Perhaps check
> boxes would be nice.
>
> I don't really like the idea of setting the defaults in the XML as it
> changes the behavior of the application and makes it non-portable (or
> harder to connect the dots for someone looking at the annotations).
>
> So can we agree to disagree and make it a choice for the developer?
I wrote that above didn't I ? :) ALL is kept for now, a choice will be
added going forward.

btw. no single app in this world will use the same cascade on all
assocations hence setting i.e. ALL is
encouraging a very bad practice ... but for now I can't change it since
the alternative is just as bad because
of backwards compatability.

/max