[seam-dev] Need for Common Annotation-attribute scanning/parsing utility (or CDI API/SPI)

Lincoln Baxter, III lincolnbaxter at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 17:00:04 EDT 2010

As many of you know, when creating API annotations for Seam Modules, we have
an interesting situation:

https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/WELDX-95

Due to the fact that annotations can include meta-annotations, we need to
recursively scan the annotation hierarchy in order to obtain the correct
annotation instance (or null if it isn't declared,) then return that
annotation in order to access the attributes.

This becomes even more complex when annotations are added via the
seam-xml-config module, but I'll let Dan or Pete explain that one.

It seems likely that we will need a new API/SPI in CDI in order to
appropriately address performance concerns with doing such recursive,
synchronized (locking!) lookups.

There are several questions to address:

   1. Where do we allow nested/meta-annotations?
   2. How do we address the performance concerns where they are allowed?

--
Lincoln Baxter, III
http://ocpsoft.com