[seam-dev] Project PicketBox v3.0.0.Beta2 is released

Shane Bryzak sbryzak at redhat.com
Sun Mar 7 03:46:03 EST 2010

(Adding Marcel to CC, as he worked on the PicketLink-Seam integration)

Just to clarify a few things with the Seam/PicketLink integration.   The
core security API in Seam 3 will not be changing drastically, it's a
proven API and it's what our users are already intimately familiar
with.  What we *will* be doing is offloading all of the enterprisey-type
security features such as SSO, SAML, SPNEGO, Kerberos, OpenID
integration, etc onto PicketLink.  I can't explain 100% how this will be
done at this stage because I'm just starting to get into the integration
work now, however we will most likely be providing the following things
at the very minimum:

1) A filter that will propagate any servlet container security context
(i.e. the logged in user and their roles) to Seam if they are not
already authenticated (see
https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBSEAM-4559).  This feature in itself
will take care of a whole heap of the security features that I mentioned
above, and allow us to remove our own implementation of BASIC/DIGEST
HTTP authentication (something that would be preferable for us not to
maintain).

2) A filter that will propagate Seam's security context to PicketBox.
I've written this already (with Anil's help) - what this filter does is
allow users to use the built-in JEE security annotations, such as
@RolesAllowed, etc on their beans.

3) Provide integration with PicketLink IDM via a Seam IdentityStore
implementation.  This will give our users greater options as to which
type of security providers they can use for their apps.

This list is just a starting point, and I'm sure as we make some more
progress we will find more areas where it will be advantageous to have
some form of tighter integration.  The point of this exercise though is
really to draw a line between which security features Seam will provide,
and which features we will delegate to PicketLink.

Our recommendation to users will be to just use the existing Seam
Security features for their standalone, self-contained apps that require
simple authentication based on a database or LDAP server.  Once their
requirements grow beyond this however, our recommendation will be to use
Seam/PicketLink.  PicketLink will be "the" way to do any
federated/enterprise identity stuff in Seam.

This will allow us (the Seam team) to curb the amount of development
effort that we otherwise have to put into providing extra security
features in Seam.

Hopefully that paints a clearer picture ;)

Shane