[seam-dev] Seam patches and SVN logistics

Martin Gencur mgencur at redhat.com
Thu Mar 18 05:23:32 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-18 at 16:04 +1000, Shane Bryzak wrote:
> On 18/03/10 15:36, Arbi Sookazian wrote:
> > HI all,
> >
> > Are there any documented "rules of engagement" or best practices
> > concerning committing patches, bug fixes, etc. for JIRA issues with
> > respect to Seam 3.0, for example?
> >
> > Specifically, do the Seam core devs and miscellaneous committers
> > work directly off of trunk for all JIRA issues for a particular
> > release or do they create a separate branch for each JIRA issue
> > which is then reintegrated back into trunk?
> We work off trunk mainly, although for fixes that are backported they
> are obviously applied to a branch.
> >
> > If the latter, then what about using Mylyn in Eclipse for task mgmt
> > and context mgmt?  The activation of tasks and tracking of change
> > sets by Mylyn are useful in Eclipse workspaces where there are
> > multiple JIRA issues (or tasks) to work on and isolate context for.
> >
> > And is a continuous integration server like Hudson or Continuum used
> > as well?  Is a build created by the CI server every time a file or
> > change set is committed to trunk or is it schedule by CRON job?
>
> We use Hudson (hudson.jboss.org), I'll let one of the QA guys answer
> the build question however I *think* it's triggered by commit.

Basically, the CI is being done by hudson jobs here:
http://hudson.jboss.org/hudson/view/Seam/
Currently you can see two hudson jobs:
Seam-modules-deploy-remoting and Seam-modules-deploy-xml. In our private
instance of hudson we have hudson jobs for all Seam3 modules. The
"remoting" job is triggered daily at midnight if there is any change in
svn. We can setup this behaviour for all the modules if this is desired
behaviour. Shane, WDYT?

Martin