[seam-dev] Seam 3 space on JBoss Community

Gavin King gavin.king at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 23:40:26 EDT 2010

OK, fair enough, so off the top of my head, here's a list of
requirements that I think will be difficult to support on the
jboss.org platform.

(1) consistent look, feel, and navigation across website and forums.
Since the jboss.org CMS and forums are totally different software
packages, having a consistent look/feel is going to be very difficult
and requires the maintenance of two different sets of templates ...
with seam wiki we get that for free. See hibernate.org for an example
of what it should *not* look like.

(2) a (consistent) grammar-based wiki text content format for the
website and forums. The jboss.org forums use bbcode, which is much
less nice than seam text, and, since it is not based on a grammar,
cannot detect errors and instead goes off the rails and renders
rubbish. Seam text tells you when your text is not well-formed and
makes you fix the error. The jboss.org CMS uses mainly HTML, which is
a nightmare format for writing and maintaining content. Apparently
there is some suggestion that it might be able to support a seam text
plugin, but that still only solves half the problem.

(2.5) Syntax highlighting for code samples.

(3) Live preview in the content editor. This saves me so much time
it's ridiculous. Seam wiki not only renders a perfect preview of the
content I'm editing, it also tells me exactly where I have any
non-well-formed text.

(4) Atom or RSS feeds, mainly for the forums, but also useful in some
other places.

(5) Login with one click instead of 3 (duh).

(6) Easy to-use online document history, diffs and rollback (the
jboss.org CMS may support this, I'm not sure).

(7) An infrastructure which, unlike jboss.org, does not have a history
of being regularly unavailable or down for maintenance, or in the
process of migration to a new platform. (For example, right now, I
can't log in on jboss.org.)

In addition to this list of things I came up with without thinking
very hard, we can add all the problems and limitations we're going to
stumble upon when we actually try using the jboss.org platforms. And
all the nice things about seamframework.org that we don't really
appreciate until they're not there.