[seam-dev] Running weld + solder + wicket on GAE

Ales Justin ales.justin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 07:29:10 EDT 2011

>>> 3. weld-core
>>> I have changed catching exception from ResourceLoadingException to
>>> Throwable. It is widest possible catch declaration, in fact catching
>>> specific exceptions would be probably better or GAE exceptions should
>>> be catch deeper and rethrown as ResourceLoadingException.
>>>
>>> There is problem with adding this classes during deployment:
>>> org.jboss.seam.solder.bean.generic.GenericBeanExtension$1
>>> org.jboss.seam.solder.util.collections.AbstractMultiset$ElementSet$1
>>> org.jboss.logging.JBossLogManagerProvider
>>> org.jboss.seam.solder.bean.defaultbean.DefaultBeanExtension$1
>>> org.jboss.seam.solder.util.collections.AbstractMultimap$KeySet$1
>>> org.jboss.logging.Log4jLogger
>>> org.jboss.logging.JBossLogManagerLogger

>> What exactly is the issue here?
>> Reflection should still work on GAE.
> Issue is related to the fact that the method
> java.lang.Class.getGeneric* are not fully implemented on App Engine's
> JDK. I think this is similar to
> http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=4250.
>>
>>> 4. weld-core
>>> In InstantiatorFactory I have commented out adding
>>> ReflectionFactoryInstantiator. It is not allowed to use
>>> ReflectionFactory on GAE. Adding reflection factory should be check
>>> programmatically before creating new instance in some if clause.

>> This looks like RFI should catch Throwable instead of Exception in ctor.
>>
>> And I haven't hit this.
>> When does InstantiatorFactory get used?

Yeah, "unproxyable" bean, which then needs JDK "hacks".
Could that Wicket bean be changed, to be proxyable by default mechanism?

> [...]
> 	at org.jboss.weld.bootstrap.BeanDeployment.deployBeans(BeanDeployment.java:216)
> 	at org.jboss.weld.bootstrap.WeldBootstrap.deployBeans(WeldBootstrap.java:370)
> 	at org.jboss.weld.environment.servlet.Listener.contextInitialized(Listener.java:205)
> 	at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.startContext(ContextHandler.java:548)
> 	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.Context.startContext(Context.java:136)
> 	at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.startContext(WebAppContext.java:1250)
> 	at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.doStart(ContextHandler.java:517)
> 	at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.doStart(WebAppContext.java:467)
> 	at org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:50)
> 	at com.google.net.rpc.impl.RpcUtil.runRpcInApplication(RpcUtil.java:437)
> 	at com.google.net.rpc.impl.Server$RpcTask.runInContext(Server.java:573)
> 	at com.google.tracing.TraceContext$TraceContextRunnable$1.run(TraceContext.java:448)
> 	at com.google.tracing.TraceContext.runInContext(TraceContext.java:688)
> 	at com.google.tracing.TraceContext$AbstractTraceContextCallback.runInInheritedContextNoUnref(TraceContext.java:326)
> 	at com.google.tracing.TraceContext$AbstractTraceContextCallback.runInInheritedContext(TraceContext.java:318)
> 	at com.google.tracing.TraceContext$TraceContextRunnable.run(TraceContext.java:446)
> 	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110)
> 	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603)
>>
>>> I have not tested yet which solder features are working and which ones
>>> not. In wicket page injection works as expected.
>>
>> Solder works for me, but I only use @Resource handling atm.
>>
>>> If you are interested in providing support for GAE, I think it would
>>> be great to have this changes apply to master branch. Some of them
>>> (especially 3 and 4) need some more development and propably support
>>> from weld team.
>>
>> If you can provide some example / test, I'll definitely have a look at this.
> I'm working on that application https://github.com/endpoint/widgetly.
> Currently there is only integration stuff so you can treat it as test
> case.
> All of the changes I need to make I have done in separate branches in
> my fork repositories:
> Solder:  https://github.com/smigielski/solder/tree/deployOnGAE
> Wicket: https://github.com/smigielski/wicket/tree/deployOnGAE
> Weld https://github.com/smigielski/core/tree/deployOnGAE
>

>> I'm playing with GAE for some JavaEE+GAE portability POC,
>> I'll post about exactly what I'm doing asap -- probably around JBW time.
>>
>> -Ales
>>

> When I was writing that email I had forgotten about one more issue:
> 5. solder-api
>
> In class LoggerProviders I have moved
> final LogManager jdkLogManager = LogManager.getLogManager();
> into try-catch block. java.util.logging.LogManager is a restricted class.

This one is already known, and the patch to logging and solder were already submitted.