[seam-dev] Seam Catch handler precedence

Jason Porter lightguard.jp at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 11:12:27 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 14:31, Gavin King <gavin.king at gmail.com> wrote:
> When we designed the CDI spec, we tried to avoid defining precedence
> in terms of numeric values. Why not model exception handler precedence
> on the solution we use for interceptor precedence in CDI? An exception
> handler is some kind of interceptor, after all...

Gavin,

The precedence value is actually a very small portion of defining
order for exception handlers.  It's really only there for the
(probably rare) case of having multiple handlers for the same
exception type and phase.  For end users, I doubt it will come up very
often when they will need to use anything other than the default.

When developing the ordering of exception handlers we decided not to
use an additional external configuration, but keep everything as close
to the declaration of the handler as possible.  I also have not heard
from any users stating they would like or need an external
configuration for handlers.  Until it comes up and is a change /
addition wanted by many I will keep it as it currently stands.