[seam-dev] Seam Migration Questions

jdavault at redhat.com jdavault at redhat.com
Wed Mar 12 13:08:38 EDT 2014

Hello Seam-Forums, Seam-Issues, and Seam-Dev,

I am working with a customer who is migrating from Seam 2.2 to Seam 3,
JSF 1.2 to 2.0, RichFaces 3.3 to 4.0, and also will be using CDI (Weld)
moving forward.

I haven't found any specific migration documents that directly address
the Seam migration, but I have found a lot of discussions about this
migration being a difficult one and comments that a migration strategy
document needs to exist for this.

Here are the important questions I am looking to answer for our customer
that I cannot currently answer myself:

1) If you navigate to this web URL:
http://seamframework.org/Seam3/Solder, you'll notice that Red Hat states
active development has stopped for this project and been moved to Apache
Deltaspike. The customer is concerned that if they upgrade to Seam
3/Solder now, they will have to upgrade again shortly thereafter to
something else due to this change. Can we guarantee that we will support
their upgrade moving forward? If not, what is or what will be the
alternative technologies in its stead?

2) The customer makes extensive use of Seam 2 remoting for their banking
security application. Is there an equivalent in CDI (Weld) that will
allow them to continue using remoting? If not, what alternatives do we
offer in it's place?

3) The customer has noted that Seam3 doesn't make use of components.xml
which they currently use in Seam2. Where does this code get ported to in
Seam3?

4) The customer currently uses Seam-managed Hibernate Sessions: he
guesses they are not supported in CDI and wishes to know what is the
best way to go moving forward? For example, something that is more
conforming to JPA2 was mentioned.

I have snapshots of the current configurations for components.xml,
pages.xml, and the current logging configuration. Please let me know if
providing any of these would be useful to help answer the questions.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Jon DaVault
Consultant