[security-dev] PicketLink IDM API - Should PasswordCredential use char[] instead of String

Shane Bryzak sbryzak at redhat.com
Sun Dec 2 18:34:15 EST 2012

> It is a fairly common recommended practice that passwords are stored
> using character arrays instead of String - this means that as soon as it
> is finished with the array can be cleared instead of relying on the
> garbage collector to remote the String from the heap.
>
> Just thinking should PasswordCredential also do the same?

Probably a smart idea - would you leave the constructor and
getPassword() methods as is and just convert between the String and char
array, like so:

public class PasswordCredential implements Credential {
     private char[] password;

     public PasswordCredential(String password) {
         this.password = password.toCharArray();
     }

     public String getPassword() {
         return new String(password);
     }
}

Or would that still be considered as a vulnerability?  I'm just thinking
of the use cases where it's easier to bind a UI component directly to a
String value.  We probably also need a Credential.clear() method also.