[security-dev] PicketLink 3 - IDM API - Credential Management

Jason Porter lightguard.jp at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 13:07:12 EST 2012

Here's a PDF [1] of a session I attended at RWX this past week. Start
looking at page 25 onward for some ideas on how we can better store
passwords with something other than just a salted hash, it may also give us
a good advantage with other competitors. If you can't get to the PDF, let
me know and I'll attach it.

[1]
http://therichwebexperience.com/s/slides/current/speaker/Les_Hazlewood/intro_to_application_security/Intro_to_Application_Security.pdf

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 2:37 AM, Darran Lofthouse <darran.lofthouse at jboss.com
> wrote:

> On 12/03/2012 09:23 AM, Darran Lofthouse wrote:

> of

> >> This is an implementation detail - all IdentityStore implementations
> >> should support the storing of multiple credential types.  Out of the box
> >> we support PasswordCredential, DigestCredential and
> >> X509CertificateCredential and two separate calls to updateCredential()
> >> with different credential types should persist both credentials.
> >
> > I would suggest if reviewing the Credential APIs one thing that we would
> > need to be sure of it that we can operate on the individual Credentials
> > - we may need to be choosing which one to update or remove.
> >
> > Also for Certificates we may want the ability to have a new Certificate
> > set before an old one expires possibly with or without an overlap.
>
> Also if looking at Certificates as I mentioned on another thread if the
> APIs from the IDM allow us to wrap it with an X509TrustManager
> implementation that would potentially provide us with the capability to
> tie in the SSL negotiation as connections are established with the
> identity store.
>
> In current AS releases this can be a bit disjointed getting the two tied
> together.

Jason Porter
http://lightguard-jp.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/lightguardjp