[security-dev] Credentials API redesign

Shane Bryzak sbryzak at redhat.com
Thu Dec 6 08:39:28 EST 2012

On 12/06/2012 11:07 PM, Pedro Igor Silva wrote:
> Maybe another design would be:
>
>     public interface Credential<T extends Serializable> {
>
>         String getUserName();
>         T getCredential();
>
>         void invalidate();
>
>     }

As Darran described in an earlier e-mail, authentication might be
performed simply with a certificate, with no knowledge of the username
or id.  Also, a credential might conceivably consist of multiple fields
- a real life example is a drivers license, which might contain a
number, an issuing state and expiry date (so a single Credential value
that supports Serializable is insufficient).  I think we need to be
totally generic here, and not declare any predefined state for the
credentials whatsoever, as this is the only way we can accommodate the
entire spectrum of authentication methods.

>      public interface CredentialHandler<T extends Credential> {
>
>          T getCredential();
>
>          void store();
>          Credential load();
>
>          boolean validate();
>
>          void setIdentityManager(IdentityManager identityManager);
>      }

The store() and load() methods are outside the scope of the
CredentialHandler - these are operations that can only be provided by
the IdentityStore as only it should be directly interacting with the
identity storage backend.  Also, the reference to the IdentityManager
should be unnecessary; the CredentialHandler should only require access
to the IdentityStore to perform credential validation.

>      public interface IdentityManager {
>
>          void updateCredential(CredentialHandler<T extends Credential> credentialHandler);
>          boolean validateCredential(CredentialHandler<T extends Credential> credentialHandler);
>
>      }
>
>      The main idea is decouple from the IDM the logic to store, load and validate credentials. That should be done by some client API like PicketLink Core, PicketBox or some other authentication API. The IDM can provide some built-in implementations for PasswordCredentialHandler or X509CertificateCredentialHandler, for example.
>
>      Another possible benefit is that the IDM does not need to know about how credentials/handlers are configured.
>
>      The handler can just use the IdentityManager to store the credentials, using user's attributes or something like that.
>
>      Let's say we want to perform a username/password authentication:
>
>           Client Code
>
>           UsernamePasswordCredential credential = new UsernamePasswordCredential("username","passwd");
>           PasswordCredentialHandler credentialHandler = new PasswordCredentialHandler(credential);
>
>           if (identityManager.validateCredential(credentialHandler)) {
>               User user = identityManager.getUser(credential.getUsername);
>
>               // continue with the authentication
>           } else {
>               // handle bad user
>           }

This code only works if you know which IdentityStore implementation you
will be using beforehand.  If you reconfigure the IdentityManager to use
a different IdentityStore, this would most likely break.

I think it might be helpful if I post some concrete examples based on
the new design - I'll try to find some time to do this tomorrow morning.